Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: What happens if a landlord sends you a receipt for damages after 31 days has already passed? In Oregon.

Also, does moving early and prorating rent end the lease at that time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you have a security deposit and your landlord did not give you an accounting statement within 31 days of you vacating the property and/or returning possession of the property back to your landlord, you may have a claim of wrongful withholding of your security deposit against your landlord. However, if you did not have a security deposit and the damages to the property are beyond the normal wear and tear allowed within your lease agreement and state statutes, you are responsible for those damages. If you have not spoken with an landlord tenant attorney about your potential claim, you should reach out for a consultation as there can be other facts which change the answer to your question

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.