Santa Ana, CA asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Im the permanent guardian of my brother & sister Can I legally tell their dad he cant see them if it is unsafe for them?

My brother and sisters father (we have different dads) is an alcoholic who has been arrested 5 times in the last year and just went “missing” for 8 days. He keeps asking to pick up the kids to hangout with them. Am I legally allowed to tell him no? I am the permanent guardian ordered by the court but his parental rights were not terminated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is probably a question for someone who practices in the juvenile courts, which I don't.

I'll try to answer it as best as I can.

If there's a Court order giving him time, you need to honor it. If there's not a Court order, then you can do what you think is best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.