Elberton, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Does my girlfriend need a lawyer and is she going to have to do more jail time?

My girlfriend was intoxicated and arrested for a disorderly conduct charge. She went to jail and was released after her breathalyzer was below the legal limit (4 hours). They handed her a sheet of paper and told her she has to go to court. Now we are just nervous.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: When charged with a crime is it always a good idea to have legal representation. Although the charge may not seem serious, any conviction on your record could cause future problems when trying to get a job or on any type of background check. An attorney may be able help keep your record clean.

It is not likely that a person with no record would do jail time on the type of charge you describe. However, there's no way to know for sure without further investigation into the specifics of your case.

For more information, visit my website at www.LevinLawyerGa.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.