Dallax, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: How can I obtain a certificate of citizenship?

My mom obtained her US citizenship when I was 11 years old in 2006. I also received my permanent resident card in 2006. We left the US and resided in Africa until 2014. In 2014 I returned to the US by myself and obtained my passport at the passport office in 2017. My Permanent Resident card was taken away after applying for the passport. I’m now trying to obtain a certificate of citizenship by filling form N600 and 1 of the requirement is that I lived in the physical custody of my parents in the US which is not the case. My question is how do I get a certificate of citizenship. Do I need to file an N600 or need to file an N400 to get naturalized?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Why are you trying to obtain a certificate of citizenship when you have already become a citizen and have had a passport? What is it that you are trying to accomplish? If you need proof of citizenship and your passport is expired, then renew your passport. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.