San Jose, CA asked in Contracts and Estate Planning for California

Q: what legal document do I need to get?

My girlfriend and I bought a house and she is the one who is on the title I have put $100,000 so far into this home increasing property value and plan to put much more into it. I am worried that if something happens and we split I will be out of everything I put in. What can I do to bind a contract where if something happens I get my money back that I put in and possibly a portion of the increased value rate if she sells it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: You are very wise to be concerned about this. There is more than one way to handle this, and the correct choice depends on a lot of factors that you should discuss with an attorney. Maybe you need to be put on title with a percentage interest in the house. Or, maybe you should have your girlfriend sign a note and deed of trust to secure the loan of money. And there are other possibilities. This is not a do it yourself project. Do yourself a giant favor and hire a real estate attorney to help you with this.

Julie King and Yelena Gurevich agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.