Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Can i seek payment when the other parent wants me to watch our kid during his scheduled parenting time?

Live in Arizona. Have 50/50 split custody/parenting time. If Parent A asks Parent B to watch the child  during Parent A's scheduled parenting time because Parent A has to work, can Parent B seek payment from Parent A for watching the child as in charge for child care services?

Clearly I mean other than child support payments. Honestly, I feel like since I could technically be working myself and making money that week, that the other parent should have to pay me for watching our kid when its not my scheduled time to have our kid. The other parent would have to pay someone else to watch our kid if i didn't anyways. So it might as well be me watching our kid and getting paid to do so.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can certainly ask for it. Most likely, the other parent would have to agree. If the other parent does not agree, I'm not sure it's worth going to Court for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.