Binghamton, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: Attempted to serve husband with court papers for paternity, had a baby with current boyfriend. Paternity test possible?

Tried to have a process server serve current husband with court papers for paternity.. I had a baby with my boyfriend. Is it possible to get a paternity test done without my husband being involved? I attempted to serve him with court papers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: We cannot provide legal advice as there is no attorney-client relationship formed here on this website. We can educate.

One bit of education is that husbands are presumed to be the biological fathers of their wife's children. The asker wants to establish something New York law already establishes. The asker will be unable to compel the husband to undergo a paternity test unless the husband asserts he was unavailable to sire the child, and that ordering a test is in the child's best interests (which means ordering a paternity test for a boyfriend).

The asker should not take bits and pieces of legal talk to fashion a petition for paternity. Doing-it-yourself can cause a locking in of the husband as the biological father and excluding the boyfriend. The asker must consult with an attorney to determine what is the best course of action in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.