Pensacola, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: My father has property in Tenn. deeded heir property.I have paid the taxes for 15 yrs; can it be signed over to me only?

I am the only one that has paid property taxes but it was deeded as heir property. Since I have been the only one paying the taxes could it be signed over to me alone?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Tenants In Common cannot adversely possess against each other. And paying taxes does not bestow special rights to one of the TIC's. Hire an attorney to search the title, determine heirship and prepare a Deed for the other Heirs to transfer their interests over to you if they will. If not, a Partition Sale may be necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.