Mc Kee, KY asked in Estate Planning for Kentucky

Q: My father was looking to get his share of the inheritance of his parents that passed away in Kentucky, what can he do?

Their house was sold and the money from this sale, as specified in the will, was supposed to be split among their surviving children. The estate still has not be closed and the money is effectively trapped in escrow because of the executor of the estate. He initially filed a suit against the executor contesting the handling of the estate (there's bad blood between he and the executor) but nothing has come from this. He's in a situation where he needs his share of the inheritance money but cannot get it as the estate still has not been closed by the executor, is there anything he can do about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Hire a lawyer and file a motion in the probate case for a partial distribution until the estate can be finalized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.