Mooresville, NC asked in Family Law for New York

Q: What paperwork do I need to file with NYS Courts to vacate a temporary custody order that is in place?

I want to vacate a temporary custody order that was put in place in 2015. I want to file for full custody for my son. What paperwork do I need to file?

In addition because of this, I need to terminate the child support I am paying for children that are not mine. What paperwork do I need to file?

Thank you and God Bless!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: A common misconception among family court survivors is that a form can fix things, hence the question about what "paperwork" to file. There is far more information needed and a consult with a lawyer may be necessary.

Initially, temporary orders of custody evaporate once an underlying proceeding is ended. It can be ended by a withdrawal which failed to result in an order of dismissal and vacatur of the temporary order. The order is gone, but there was nothing to vacate it, so the impression is that the temporary order is still in effect.

As for a petition to challenge paternity, this requires some details. Without those, we would be speculating. Ordinarily, a questionable order of filiation requires fast action to fix. The more time a bogus order of filiation continues, the more the asker is estopped (prohibited) from changing that order. As we don’t know any of the particulars, we really cannot answer the basic question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.