California, MD asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for California

Q: How can my husband adopt my son, his stepson.

My son is 14, he has never met his biological father and has no father listed on his birth certificate. My son and my husband want this adoption. My son wants to change his last name to our last name.

1 Lawyer Answer
Eliza Jasinska
Eliza Jasinska
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is a fairly simple process. Custodial parent and stepparent will fill out court forms, there will adoption investigation, consents must be obtained. The court will schedule a hearing. You will get a copy of the adoption order from the court, and the amended birth certificate will be mailed to you. Please discuss the details with a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.