Riverside, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: I have primary physical custody at an 80/20 timeshare. We want to move out of CA. What are my chances of winning?

I have not filed yet but have been talking to the other party about the move. My child is 10. I currently homeschool him and I work remotely. My parents, grandparents and sister’s family are also moving. We all want to live close by in tennessee. They are our main support system. The other party is opposing the move. I tried to present a few schedule options to him that were still at an 80/20 timeshare but he did not agree to any. The other party has a history of substance abuse and has been sober about 4 years now. We want more freedoms, opportunity for my son, attend school and be with family is the reason for the move.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eliza Jasinska
Eliza Jasinska
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In general, when the parents share joint physical custody under an existing order and in fact, and one parent seeks to relocate with the child, the nonmoving parent who seeks a change of custody to prevent the child's relocation need only establish that the change of custody will be in the child's best interest. The trial court must determine de novo what primary custody arrangement is in the child's best interest. Please discuss the details of your case with a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.