Gardena, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: What kind of legal aid to seek if I was injured while incarcerated during Covid19 and am now pretty much handicapped?

I was incarcerated from July-Nov 2021, during which I fell and injured my back and was left on the ground for weeks, not giving any medical care. Literally had to have my cellmates carry me to use the toilet. After catching Covid19 twice was placed in isolation still not having been treated for my back and was denied Dr. visits to give me my psyc meds. When I finally was seen by the Dr's said I would be fine in 3 weeks. I was released only to have Dr's, tell me my back will be forever hunched. I am constantly at a 9 /10 in pain scale and due to my passed drug abuse have told the Dr's I do not want any pain meds for the fear of relapse. I am at a loss and don't know who to speak with who will help me or who will even listen. Everyone has dismissed my injury as me trying to get back at the system but I have been getting my life back on track and need advise on who to contact and what kind of case if any I have because I cant live like this let alone work to survive.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should contact a civil rights lawyer or law firm. There are many good ones in the Los Angeles area.

Do not delay, as there are strict deadlines which may apply. Injuries suffered while in custody are not uncommon. Make sure you prepare a chronological summary of what happened to you, how it happened, and who all the witnesses are. You will need that later, so it is best to prepare that now so you can keep a record now while your memory of the events is still fresh.

Also, keep a pain diary which describes your pain levels each day, and the kinds of things you can no longer do which you used to be able to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.