Newark, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: I have an issue with my landlord. Theres problems with the house that can cause health problems but she refuses to fix

She came into the house with 2 other people without giving us a 24hr notice like it says in the lease agreement. I have that on camera as well. She shut the gas and I have my 8 year old daughter that's here with me. She had the water shut off also. If you look up the owner of this house it says a complete different name. I have pictures and videos of things that need fixed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Call the Health Dept. They will come and inspect -- and with no water or gas, they will probably order you out, and tell the landlord to fix the problems. Then you can sue the landlord for the cost of alternate living accommodations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.