Baton Rouge, LA asked in Personal Injury, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Last summer, I went 3.5 months with no AC. Am I entitled to any compensation from the complex?

I constantly called and texted about having no AC. The summer before it was out for almost the whole summer. The workmanship is subpart at best because now I don't have an operating thermostat. I have to turn the AC/heater on through the breaker box. It seems like a fire hazard. Due to the lackluster results, most of my wall outlets are now inoperable. I tried to move out but was told I had to put in a 60 day notice.

1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: The terms of your lease would apply. Many leases state exactly how you have to notify the landlord of the problems you're having - for instance, it may have to be in writing. You should speak with an attorney that handles landlord/tenant matters to review your lease and counsel you on the best steps to take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.