Sunbury, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Closing Joint Bank Accounts?

Fairfield County, OH: My wife had our son file for a Protective Order. April 2021 he was 17 and Sep 20 he turned 18. He graduates in May 2022. He was granted 3 years. He enjoined my wife and his sister in the order. According to the PO electronic communication is a violation of the PO. My wife changed a debt to come out of a Joint Banking Account. This is now causing a negative balance and Overdraft fees. I have been told by the Bank I can close the account as long as I bring the account to balance. Would closing the account violate the conditions of the Electronic Communication portion of the PO? And can I close a Joint Account before a divorce is finalized?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The answer to this question depends on whether or not you have temporary orders in an active Divorce case. Sometimes court put orders into place to prevent parties from making changes to joint accounts such as removing funds and closing accounts. If there is no current court order in place preventing you from removing yourself from a joint account, maybe you can pay the negative balance and remove yourself. Unlike on credit accounts, you can often remove yourself as a joint account holder on an asset such as a checking or savings account. To do so, some banks simply let you fill out a form relinquishing your rights to any remaining funds. By signing such a form, you remove all future access to the accounts and surrender your right to any of the money in it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.