Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law

Q: Is there a problem if my child's father and I have the same surname but not married?

Coincidentally my daughters father and I have the same surname but we are not married. Our names are written on her birth certificate. Would this raise any questions with immigration as I plan to relocate with her to Canada via permanent residence route. Is there any additional document I need to have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: You should put the child's father's name on his or her birth certificate. Or, if the father is not known or does not want to be in the child's life, you can leave it blank. DNA tests can confirm paternity in case the government raises doubts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.