Nashville, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: What can i do to get my 70 year old brother to move out of my house that was basically left to me when she passed in '21

The Will stated that I could live in the house as long as I desire but if I sell the house the money I get would be divided 4 ways between me and my 3 siblings. At the time the will was written my brother was off the grid. He came back 3 years later, My mom being elderly could not bring herself to kick him out. I watched him verbally and emotionally abuse her. She would not do anything or allow me to do anything. He is an alcohol abuser as well as anything else he can get hold of. He gives me $400 per month to help with house bills. Is there anything I can do? Who can help me??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: An agreed sale and deed are probably your only option besides hiring an attorney to prosecute an action for a Sale for Partition. There the Heirs At Law will split the net proceeds of the Sale. You cannot file a Detainer Warrant against another Tennant In Common.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.