Fremont, CA asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California

Q: If I was wrongfully accused of a crime that was dismissed can I seek compensation for all I was put thru??

It was for a vandalism I didn’t commit and the security guard was lying made up witnesses claimed to have. Video which my public defender found a video proving him to be lying, and for over a year I not only had to pull loans several times first one being for bail because I have 2 young children to take care of but due to the issues of missing work behind going to court, and clearing my warrent it was a serious snowball effect that has damaged my credit in a major way and financially burdened me taking 2 weeks off to quarantine at my job DOESNT get me any pay I work for a small restaurant with under 25 employees we don’t get paid sick leave! All behind this liar he’s caused me a great deal of trouble and I had to fear going to jail for over a year for a crime I didn’t commit they even tried to talk me into taking probation and paying restitution even after KNOWING STILL I DID NOT DO IT

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It would be very difficult to find a lawyer to go after the governmental actors but you might find some who would help you to sue the security guard. Do you know why he was lying? What was his motive? You might not be able to hold his employer responsible but the evidence could lead there. Not enough information to say for sure but what you should do is talk to a few local personal injury lawyers and find out your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.