Concord, CA asked in Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Hello, what is a transgender person supposed to do in life threatening situations when police aren't doing anything?

Transgender person receiving ongoing threats, stalking and life is in danger. This stalking person has multiple restraining orders and counts of sexual assault yet police aren't doing anything. Where do you go from here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First of all, I would like to see more information.

If you have restraining orders in effect, then if you continue to be harassed by the person who is subject to the restraining order, you need to keep collecting evidence of the harassing conduct. You can do this by taking photos and/or videos of the perpetrator in the act, and go back to court and report the continued harassment. The local police are not there to do anything in particular to protect you from the harasser, except respond to your call in an urgent situation in which your health or safety are threatened. Nonetheless, continue to gather evidence of repeated instances of harassment and continue reporting back to the court to see what, if anything, the court may order for your further protection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.