Dundalk, MD asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maryland

Q: How do I find out what type of custody my grandmother has of my child?

So let's start off with I was at 18-19 at the time. I didn't have a house nor a job unfortunately I was working but then I lost my job due to not being fast enough in a fast food restaurant. Lol "jokes on me" but anyways my grandmother called child protective services on me the lady came out I passed the test that they did at the house, but due to it not being my place I had to move and I really didn't have a place to call home so with that being said me and my grandmother was auguring at the time we have always had a toxic relationship, but anyways I end up moving into my grandmother at the age of 19-20 and I was moving to my father's thinking I could get a job there but it didn't turn out in that favor, before that my grandmother and the child protective services lady had me sign this letter saying my grandmother would keep my child for a couple months until I got on my feet. Court was in the mix and I'm just trying to figure out what type of custody she has I wish I could say more.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: A non-biological parent cannot have enforceable legal custody without a court order awarding it. Therefore, look for a court case in your grandmother's name awarding custody to her. Such a court order would have to be issued only by the circuit court in the county where the child resided (or possibly where the grandmother resided) at the time the order was issued. If that would be in Maryland, then you can search the Maryland Judiciary Case Search online database by your grandmother's name. That will show any circuit court case number and list of docket entries in the case, including the date and title of any court order issued. You can then go to the court and obtain a copy of the order to review what it says. You can discuss your options with a lawyer as to how to go about obtaining custody of your child depending on what you find out regarding any court orders in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.