Saint Marys, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: I live in a senior citizen apartment building. How can I get the landlord to rid my apartment of bed bugs?

They had Orkin spray three times but the bed bugs came back and are biting me really bad. I just want to get rid of them for good. I also have physical problems such as leukemia, anemia and prostate cancer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Call the board of health. They might come out and issue an order to landlord. But if landlord is having Orkin come out already, that might satisfy the board of health. Ask Orkin what more needs to be done. If only one apartment is treated, the bugs can go next door, and then come back when the bug spray wears off. You can start paying your rent on time each month into escrow with the local court. Check the local court for the rent escrow problem. If other tenants have the problem, band together and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to assist you. Or talk to local agencies that assist seniors with housing and the senior services agency.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.