Riverside, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: How and where do I send a letter of intent to sue a police department in riverside county? Four departments, actually...

I only have 5 days before I hit the 6 month mark of my registered domestic partner being shot and killed by 4 police departments.. I know that I have to to send a letter of intent to sue before 6 months so I'm trying to do that but I don't know where to send it you send it exactly and there were 4 police departments involved. The case is still active and under investigation and there's not even a cause of death listed on his birth certificate yet. I have a letter written up already but already but I'm not sure exactly where to send it for we're just Sunday for all the police departments and sheriff's departments that were involved.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you intend to sue under California tort law (the law of civil wrongs), you are required to file a claim with each police agency pursuant to the California Government Code within six months of the date of injury. You should consult with an attorney who can do this for you and you have left yourself little time within which to do so.

If you research online, you may find the form which is generally used for this purpose. It is a Notice of Claim for Injury or Death. Then you must know the name and address of each police agency or its respective city where the notice of claim must be filed and then make sure it is filed by the deadline.

Start calling lawyers in the Riverside County area immediately to get the help you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.