Sacramento, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Is the eviction ban lifted as of March 23rd?

I was locked out of my apartment by the sheriff's on march 23rd 2022 i was subleasing from a family member and i was paying rent to her but the manager knew i was there but i was never served with an eviction nor did i have to go to court im now staying in motels what can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Evictions are being processed in court. If you were not on the lease and the actual lessee got a summons, you could have included yourself in the suit through the answer. The LL usually posts a notice to unauthorized occupants and defaults them after serving the Summons/complaint. The inception of the problem is that you paid family member in good faith and failed to get a receipt for her payment on the rent to the LL. Consult with a local Tenant's rights attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.