Asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: What are my rights as a guardian of a certificate of deposit that was sent to the state of California controller' office

I was never informed of this CD being closed.

I thought since it was in a minors name that it would be there until the minor was able to access the CD. Thinking all these years it was collecting interest. What are my rights to protect my sons money. To get back the amount i deposited plus the interest rate it should have accrued over the 18 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have proof that you took this out in the minor's name you should reclaim through the state controller's unclaimed property office procedures, otherwise the persons in whose name it was taken in can make the claim. Also, do a search of that office under your name for other accounts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.