Long Beach, CA asked in Civil Rights for California

Q: Do I have any recourse for a false arrest in 2019?

I was arrested April 2019 on false charges involving resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. I was given a court to which I appear however I was not listed on the agenda. I visited the DA to find out more info on my case and they didn't have anything and said the arresting PD didnt send anything yet. This was about 2 months later. I visited the arresting PD, county Sheriff's, court clerk for info to no avail. My question is, do I have any recourse with these agencies being that this has affected my licensure as a Mortgage Loan Originator even though no charges, conviction or anything else was applied? I never stood before a judge, had a court appointed attorney and as such have not received any documents to clear my name. I know this is 3 years later as I thought this would clear up being no conviction. (TY for the response) I have forgotten about it however the fact I was arrested shows up on a background check with my new employer and is hindering my licensing for certain states.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: An arrest without more is meaningless. If no charges were pressed against you, then nothing happened, and nothing could have affected your record. It is the same as though nothing happened. Forget about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.