New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: my land lord is pretty much kicking us out, and aren’t giving us our prepaid rent back. is that legal to do?

they said the whole house smells like cat urine, but we have multiple litter boxes, and nobody has agreed with our landlord. we prepaid 4 months worth of rent, and they’re keeping it and kicking us out, they said they have to replace carpets, but isn’t that what the security deposit is for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: When a tenant vacates, landlord must give a tenant a written notice of any security deposit or money retained. Landlord must give the notice within 30 days after the tenant vacates. If not, then tenant can sue landlord in small claims court for the return of the money. If the tenant has given landlord written notice of tenant's forwarding postal address, the tenant can sue for double the amount landlord has wrongfully withheld, plus the tenant can ask the court to have the landlord pay tenant's attorney fees. But landlord can claim reimbursement for damages beyond normal wear and tear. The judge will decide if the damage is beyond normal wear and tear. See this link:

Send landlord a letter by FedEx, with confirmation of delivery, of your forwarding address and demand refund of your money. Or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to contact landlord and represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.