Wichita Falls, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My son was released from jail yesterday, after serving time for a possession charge of methamphetamine of less than 1 gr

While in jail he was weaned off the methamphetamine, evaluated by a doctor and put on psych medications for PTSD, schizophrenia, and high blood pressure. He found out today that a warrant for his arrest is out, for a bond forfeiture that happened because he missed payments. Can the bond be reinstated? And can they try to put the old charges which he's already served time for back against him? We're not understanding why he wasn't told about the bond before they released him. And He's upset only to the fact that the bondsman said the charges would come back. Isn't that double jeopardy if they do that? Paying what he may owe the bondsman is not an issue as he starts a job Monday.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Call a lawyer because something doesn't add up. It is not double jeopardy. If he was just released from jail maybe bonds company surrender the bond

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.