Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Girlfriend is on lease I am not.Her dad (who does not live here) is on lease.Can he evict me.

My girlfriend and I live together in a house she rented. We agreed to split bills. I guess when she rented it her father helped her get the place.

He is also on the lease. For whatever reason he wants me out. He doesnt live here never has.

But he isnt the landlord. So what rights does he have to evict and what rights do i have to stay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Some courts allow a tenant to evict an occupant. Other courts only allow a landlord to file an eviction. Check with your local court. But even if he cannot successfully evict you, he could still file it, even though it would later get dismissed. But an eviction filing, even if dismissed, is a permanent court record that can make it difficult to rent from a landlord who checks the records, and most do. So avoid having an eviction filed. Talk to your girlfriend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.