Portland, OR asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: I filed for divorce in Tx. I am unemployed and needing money to pay bills. Can I cash my 401k if we both agreed and sign

We signed final decree stating I get to keep my 401k and he keeps his. I need money to pay for my bills and food and divorce fees. Will I get in trouble if I cash it out now? I know they recommend to wait til after but my question is will I get in trouble if I cash it out. I really need money since I lost my job and am behind on bills.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can cash it in. You will have to.pay taxes on it but you will not be in trouble

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.