Santa Clara, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Lease application got cancelled as the person changed their mind

I recently moved to California for a job, I submitted my application for taking over someone's lease. After two weeks of the application he told me that his visa (he is moving to some other country) got delayed and now he cannot rent it to me.

The problem is that I have spent countless hours in searching and finalizing a place, said no to other people. I have also booked an airbnb waiting for the other person as he was moving on odd dates. Because of this I have to start the process again and spent even more money on airbnb until I find the place. Is there a legal re-course for me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rogelio (Rod) B. Tuazon
Rogelio (Rod) B. Tuazon
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Ventura, CA

A: If you can prove that you have been reasonably induced to rely on a promise that the other party made, you may file a “detrimental reliance” claim if you can prove that the reliance caused you to suffer some kind of a harm or loss. If you had the agreement in writing, you would only need to prove the “reliance” and “detriment.” Otherwise, in most cases, you would need to establish and prove that there was an agreement first before you may claim “detrimental reliance.”

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.