Santa Maria, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: Do I need a family lawyer in order to gainful parental rights?

I have a 10-year-old and a 6-year-old son. Their father has been absent for 6 years, he was an addict, in and out of rehab and jail, and suffers from mental health. Their father was incarcerated for a year and released in December 2021 and is currently living in a sober living house. I have my children 100% of the time. I am receiving welfare for myself and my two children. Both my children have IEPs and have special needs (behavioral needs). I want to obtain full rights for these reasons. He is an unstable parent and is not able to care for our two children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's not clear what you mean by "obtain full rights". Has a conflict arisen regarding your rights? Is someone challenging your rights? Is the other parent seeking custody of visitation orders? It's not clear what you are trying to accomplish.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.