Blue Island, IL asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I am currently a full time employee at Amazon so is there is a way to get a green card through the employer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It depends. Often, not.

In general, you must be lawfully present in the U.S. in order to become a green card holder. If you have been sponsored and approved for an H1-b visa, then Amazon may only need you on a temporary basis, but this is unclear. If you were approved for a USCIS employment authorization card, then more information is needed about how you were approved for the card.

If you entered without inspection, overstayed a visa, fell out of status, or used fake documents to get your job, then these are some reasons for disqualification. In addition, Amazon must agree to petition you for an employment based visa. If Amazon finds out that you are without work authorization, it can end your employment. The job that you will fill must be one in which there is a proven shortage of workers. This makes hiring the foreign born, who are not already green card holders or U.S. citizens much more complicated.

Congress passed a series of laws geared to deter employers from hiring foreigners as more permanent workers. The laws create such restrictions and quotas as to hinder our economy. It is the current misdirected belief of enough members of Congress that foreigners take too many jobs away from Americans. To retard employment in this way hinders economic growth. As a result, the process to test the market is very time consuming and contrary to the growth of businesses in the United States. This means that common sense is not at work. The law restricts your employer's ability to efficiently seek a visa on your behalf.

However, there may be other options, as well. As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.