Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Does my wife have to be bought out of her portion of ownership of a house or can she be sued for her percentage?

My wife is a partial heir to her deceased grandparents house. Her cousin is another partial heir and wants to keep the house for himself to live in. He is threatening my wife with a lawsuit if she does not sign a quit claim deed, giving him ownership of her portion. Does he need to buy her out or can he actually sue her? I feel the threat is just to scare us into signing the deed without him having to pay my wife any money for her rightful percentage of the house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Actions for a Sale For Partition are filed alot. She can sell her Tenant In Common Interest, do nothing or get sued for Partition.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.