Brecksville, OH asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: 45 yrs living & paying property tax in brothers house. Do I have a claim now that he died with deed in his name?

I have lived in family house about 30 years, maintained all of it, paid all taxes to date. My mom used priest many years ago to put house in me and my bro name when she died but house only went in his because of a nasty divorce I had when younger and I cannot find the priest or have paperwork. My brother died 8 months ago. My brother's wife said his son stated his dad left him the house and she has to sign title over to the son, but she's not sure this is true. Do I have a claim to the home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There is no short answer to this question. I highly recommend sitting down with an attorney to see if there are any avenue's you can take in trying to keep the house.

Best of luck.

Mary Ellen Leslie Esq. agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.