Port Richey, FL asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can a person who has been sentenced to prison start a family after they're released? Domestic partners.

Furthermore, if they do start a family and are not abusive but live in the house and are not involved (In-house absent parent) would they have partial custodial rights to the children if the family divorced. My husband and I have been together for 18 years. I love him and we have a 9-year-old together. He is not abusive but he has a trigger temper that he keeps away from the house. He is also unreasonable and doesn't understand our child who is more responsible than he is. He makes demands and gets agitated if they aren't followed. He is selfish and we do nothing together as a family except go out to breakfast most Sundays but he goes out 2 to 3 nights a week. I have been 100% invested in our child's life and he will not come to karate meets, the park, beach, playgrounds, pool, etc. I do all b-day and holiday shopping as well. He loves his son and fears I'll leave with him but I worry about what our poor son would go through one on one with him and his unrealistic expectations of him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, of course a convicted felon can start a family.

But after reading your post several times, it appears that you are married, thinking about divorce, and are considering forming a live-in relationship with another man (the convicted felon, presumably). No, it is very unlikely that the other man could be awarded "partial custodial rights"; he would have to adopt the child first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.