Los Angeles, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: how long after separation employer must pay?

Hello, I quit my job (more of a constructive fire) when I quit I asked about my final pay and there was an agreement that they would bring it to me (where I live) because the owners live near me in the same town. They haven't brought the checks in 2 weeks despite me constantly asking about it and them saying 'ya ya we'll bring it by today.' - but never shows... am I owed money for this waiting time/ ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Maya L. Serkova
Maya L. Serkova
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When an employee resigns, the employer has 72 hours to provide the employee with their final paycheck.

A willful failure by the employer to comply with the final paycheck timing law gives the employee the right to receive Waiting Time Penalties equal to one day of pay times the days you are made to wait for the final paycheck, up to a total of 30 additional days of pay.

To get your final paycheck and Waiting Time Penalties, you have several options: (1) You can negotiate payment yourself; (2) Hire an attorney to negotiate payment; (3) File an administrative wage claim with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement; (4) File a lawsuit.

Each of these approaches has pros and cons. I suggest you consult with an employment law attorney who will further examine your situation and explain your options especially given that you think there may be a constructive termination claim. If your constructive termination proves to be meritorious, you will be entitled to additional damages.

Most employment law attorneys in California offer free of charge initial consultations, and thereafter may take your case on a contingency basis, meaning you do not have to pay attorney’s fees unless and until there is a positive outcome for you. They may also advance either all or partial costs of litigation.

You can look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section or go to California Employment Layers Association (www.cela.org), an organization whose members are committed to representing employees’ rights.


Maya L. Serkova

1 user found this answer helpful

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are terminated, you are entitled to all compensation earned, including accrued vacation, within 24 hours.

If you quit, you are entitled to all compensation earned, including accrued vacation, within 72 hours.

For each day late, you can entitled to 1 day's pay up to a max of 30 days pay.

You can have a lawyer assist you in recovering the money by writing a demand and/or either filing a complaint in Court or with the Labor Commissioner. You can also file a complaint yourself with the Labor Commissioner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.