Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Litigation for Georgia

Q: I was molested in 1989 at age 5 by my, at the time, 15 yr old cousin. Can he pay for his crimes or is it too late?

I never said anything or pressed charges because I didn’t want to burden my aunt and uncle and I was ashamed. I always figured it was too late to do something. When I found out that there was another victim and that the offender is still infatuated with children per his Facebook page, I felt the need for something to be done. I don’t want any more children to suffer by his actions and I would like him to pay (not necessarily monetary) for what he has done to my cousin and I. He absolutely ruined a large portion of our lives. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In the civil context, because the abuse occurred before July 1, 2015, you would have had to file a civil lawsuit on or before your 23rd birthday. See O.C.G.A. section 9-3-33.1. Thus, any civil claim will likely be time barred.

In the criminal context, prosecution would have had to occur within 7 years of the last act of abuse. Since the last act of abuse occurred in 1989, criminal prosecution is also likely time barred. See O.C.G.A. 17-3-1.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.