Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Can I do my contract remote work for my US company as a tourist in US? I've read that you can if you are not an employee

I am a Filipino US Tourist visa holder. My work is contractual and fully remote which allows me to do work anywhere in the world. I am visiting the US in a few months but I am wondering if I could do work while in the US. I have read from some articles that you can as long as you're not a full-time employee of the US company.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: A B2 visitor for tourism cannot lawfully live and work in the U.S. You must have a work visa where your employer must prove that it has a need for you to work in the U.S.

That means, if you are working and deriving an income, while residing in the U.S. in non-immigrant visitor status, then this is a violation. If the funds that are earned are being used while you are in the U.S., then you are receiving remunerations for employment while residing in the U.S. Employment is considered an immigration benefit, not a privilege, for those visiting the U.S. on non-immigrant visas. This is abusing the terms of your B2 visitor visa if you plan to enter to engage in work while you are on a tourist visa.

You will be considered a tax resident for taxation purposes if you are in the U.S. for more than 183 days. This may create more complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.