Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Can my ex husband put my 13 yr old away without my permission because he's mad about her moving with me ?

We have joint custody and he has say over her and our 6vyr old school and stuff and I have say over the 15 and 4 yr old school. And stuff she's 13 and wants to be with me and she doesn't need any help she's doing fine but he's threatening to put her away and I won't allow it can he do that considering he has say over certain decisions with her school and stuff without my permission?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I am not sure what you mean by "put away." If there is joint physical custody, then you and your ex-husband have equal physical custody rights that would be established by the parenting plan. Thus, your ex-husband cannot unilaterally infringe on your physical custodial rights without a court order.

However, and this is my assumption based on the ambiguous facts above, if your ex-husband has sole legal custody, then he can unilaterally choose where the child goes to school, medical treatment, religion, etc. If those type of decisions are what you meant by "put away."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.