Orlando, FL asked in Probate and Estate Planning

Q: Can the original property owner, being of sound mind and judgement, void, terminate or amend, transfer of deed form?

My daughter passed away. I would like to remove my grand daughters name from the transfer of deed document and keep "only my natural born son and caregiver", as the only and sole beneficiary.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: It sound like you might be referring to a transfer on death deed that you have previously recorded and now you want to change it. In most states that can be done simply by recording a new transfer on death deed. The new one automatically revokes the old one. But you did not say what state this is, so I cannot say for certain that is the law in your state. Either way, you should hire an attorney to help you with this. An estate planning attorney can also help you determine whether a transfer on death deed is the best device for accomplishing your objectives. Many times a trust ends up being a better choice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.