San Diego, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: What shall I do with refinance that was not closed properly?

I refinanced my 1st mortgage and HELOC to consolidate debt almost a year ago. I found out a few weeks ago that the HELOC was not closed even though I was charged the fee to close it. The HELOC servicing company sent me a letter threatening me that they would force home insurance on me if I did not renew insurance. I have insurance with current mortgage holder named.

Cenlar, the HELOC company, has offered to rectify the problem by charging me again to close the loan. I asked to see the closing documents. That is when I realized the documents I signed at closing differed from what was sent to me as final closing documents. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Take all your documents to a real estate attorney. You need a professional to review all of the documents to properly advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.