Wellington, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can I be charged with a crime?

I used a notary to do a quit claim deed from my property to my mother. Then my mother informed me that she doesn’t want the property. I changed the document quit claim deed transferring the property back to me. I did not go back to the notary. I signed her name on the document because I thought I was just reverting the document. She reported the issue to the police. What happens next. Please let me know

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you signed your mother's name on a document, yes, you could be charged with forgery. But it is unclear exactly what you did. The deed had been signed by you and your signature was notarized, what was written above the forged signature of your mother, something to the effect that "she" was "reverting" it? You had best consult with an attorney; don't answer anyone's questions until you do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.