San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Yes it's been 180 days since I've have not been indicted and I was told that that means that they're going to drop the c

So take off my monitor and I'm not going to be charged anymore or what exactly does it mean because I read they give you 180 days to file to the grand jury if they don't then they have to let you go but then I also read that they still have up to 3 years to indict you so I need to know what to expect do I go to the pretrial people and ask him to take the monitor off of me because they failed to indict me in 180 days or I don't know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: Article 32.01 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure states:

(a) When a defendant has been detained in custody or held to bail for the defendant's appearance to answer any criminal accusation, the prosecution, unless otherwise ordered by the court, for good cause shown, supported by affidavit, shall be dismissed and the bail discharged, if indictment or information be not presented against the defendant on or before the last day of the next term of the court which is held after the defendant's commitment or admission to bail or on or before the 180th day after the date of commitment or admission to bail, whichever date is later.

That means that generally, the DA must Indict you within 180 days of your arrest on a Felony charge. However, do not take off the monitor. You must make a motion to dismiss to the court to protect yourself. The reason is that there are a few exceptions to the above rule. You or your lawyer should review any possible delays in the case that might be your fault. If so, such a delay and the time it took, may be counted against you.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.