Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: What to do when public defender is advising me to reconsider my plea of not guilty to guilty

I have copy of taped statement where my boyfriend the alleged victim is admitting to prosecutor and my public defender that he lied when he called 911 on me for breaking in his home stating i didnt live there and that I did reside in the home and that I had personal property inside when he changed the locks and thats when he called 911. That at the time he was mad and wanted me arrested but his conscience is why he's admitting the truth. How to I handle this when it's been 2 years I've requested a trial and just got a date but am being asked to reconsider my not guilty plea. The victim is still my boyfriend and I still reside with him and he's been subpoenas to court and stated he's still going to tell the truth. So why would I lie and accept a lower charge as their plea when I had every right to go inside my home

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Sounds like you should request a new public defender, though the court will be reluctant to appoint a new one. You could also hire your own attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.