Dearborn, MI asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Can divorce from US citizen affect my immigration status as green card holder, my wife wants divorce and threaten me

hi, I'm a permanent resident with 10-year green card through married to US citizen. We are married for 6 years and have 4-year-old daughter. My wife now wants divorce and threaten me to file against me to USCIS to revoke my green card is that possible? can she do anything to affect my immigration status?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yohan Zingile
Yohan Zingile
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bradenton, FL

A: If you entered your marriage in good faith and not for the purpose of getting immigration benefit (which USCIS assesses before granting you the green card), your green card card is legitimate. Any threats with purpose of having you being removed is not founded. In addition, by filing a petition on your behalf, your wife made statements under penalty of perjury before the immigration services that all the information she provided is correct. Any misinformation from you or her to get green card may subject you and her to imprisonment and fine. If there is a divorce this would be settled in a state court. USCIS is not involved in this process. If for some reasons USCIS finds an applicant entered into marriage for obtaining immigration benefit the green card can be revoked.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.