Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Im married. Can I take my child out of the state without husbands permission?

I’ve recently discovered my husband has a substance abuse issue due to him overdosing in our bathroom. I don’t have any emotional/financial support in this state. We have a 2 yr old together. I’ve begged him to seek help but it’s been a few weeks since the incident and still nothing. Can I leave him and take my daughter with me to another state to be with my family until he decides to seek treatment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: When parents in Ohio are married both parents are the residential parent and legal custodian of their child and can make decisions for their child such as moving out of state unless there are orders of court otherwise. Moving out of the state is not a guarantee to being able to remain out of state with a minor child as there are timelines that must be met to establish jurisdiction in the new location. Parents can consult a local attorney in the new state to determine how soon they can file papers in the new state. Prior to any required timelines, the other parent can file a case to request orders from the court for the child to be returned to the state. A parent leaving the state will need to be prepared to argue why it is in the best interest of the child for them to relocate away from their parent remaining in Ohio if the remaining parent files in Ohio first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.