Lakeland, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Do I have the right to face my accuser in court?

I was served with a court date for violating an injunction for protection and I'm on probation already. On Dec 23 I was released from jail. This girl says I called her and hung up on her which I did not. She called the cops and reported it to them now on June 2nd the state attorney filed charges. My question is if I fight this do I have the right to face her in court and if she doesn't show up then what happens?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I assume that your "court date" is what is called a "first appearance". At that time, you can, if you wish, plead not guilty and an attorney will be appointed for you if you can't afford one. Ask your attorney your questions. But yes, she will have to testify at the trial. If she is subpoenaed and doesn't show up, she will have to face contempt charges. If she doesn't testify, the case probably will be dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.