Bakersfield, CA asked in Child Custody and Divorce for California

Q: Can I file for divorce and apply for services having only been here a few weeks from out of state?

I fled Ohio with my 3 children because my husband was using drugs in the house. He has since stopped using, but I want to know my rights about filing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You must meet the residency requirements before you can file for Divorce in the state of California. You must have lived here at least 6 consecutive months to file in this state, and 3 consecutive months to file in the county where you are living in California. The residency requirements are less if you file for legal separation instead.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.