Asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Can I get my documents back and travel abroad while my immigration case is still being processed?

My boyfriend is from Cuba and filed for Asylum this year. They have all his documents, including his passport, and his court hearing has been pushed to 2024. I currently live abroad and he wants to visit me.

Can he request his documents back and travel abroad while his case is still being processed? If so, which Form would he have to file, and would he have issues getting back into the US?

Can he apply for a student visa abroad, while his case is still being processed here, or would he have to stop one in order to apply for the other?

Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You boyfriend needs to have a in person meeting with a immigration lawyer. Some passports do not allow reentry. A in person meeting to view passport and get all the info will answer your question

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.